Thursday, February 5, 2009

buy the horse, then take lessons?

WRONG! I about flipped my lid yesterday. I had a lady call me last week saying she wanted to lease my "adult rider only" mare... for her 10 year old daughter. I told her that was a bad idea, but couldn't be swayed so i invited her out for a test ride and evaluation of the daughters riding skills. long story short, the girl came out, was a good rider, but i said she would have to take a month of lessons before we would talk again about leasing a horse.

So they show up 30 minutes late (!!!) walk up to me said, "i bought a horse!" OH DEAR. mom has MINIMAL horse experience, the daughter is only 10, and now they OWN a horse! Now i have 3 more lessons to teach this girl everything i can think of. She is a smart girl, a quick learner, and i hope i will expand her horse handling skills appropriately.


People like this are gonna give me grey hairs too soon.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you. People always think they know better than those who have experience. I surely hope that her child doesn't get maimed on this spontaneous buy her Mother executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly! Thankfully they are going to be boarding at a stable that has a trainer who works with kids. Hopefully they will meet up with her SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a timeless, consistant mistake people make.

    I have come to the point where I don't even feel bad for them anymore. I used to reach out and try to help, feel bad for them when that got their ass handed to them. Now, whatever.

    I will never understand a person that makes a larger purchase/investment into something they know absolutely nothing about.

    Or anyone that thinks a child is anywhere near capable of 100% managing an 1000 +/- lb animal.

    You are right, every minute you have with her is a precious one. Best of luck and cover your butt (waivers).

    http://singleinthetwincities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, Laur, sounds like the story of our lives - remember all those girls whose moms got horses and the girls went as fast as they came, leaving the poor horse in the pasture (or the stall) for so long?

    ReplyDelete